Monday, January 07, 2008

Spring 2008 Semester

Having thought hard and long about my thesis research, I've come to believe that I'd be better off finishing my Master's with coursework only and continue with my research on traditional vs. contemporary worship when I get into a PhD program. I have two more courses to complete my core course requirements for my MA degree:

Advanced Sociological Theory & Political Economy
Advanced Social Research Statistics

And as I'm going to research on the role of religion in American politics in more depth (than what I've been doing over past years), I've chosen the following as my elective courses:

Presidency
Legislative Process

Hopefully, these would deepen my understanding of how American government works. It's very likely that I add an independent study course focusing on American politics and religion. That means if everything goes well, I'll be done with my MA degree requirements by this summer, God willing. That would also mean what people with academic background in sociology normally do in 4 semesters, I'm going to do in 3 semesters, without an academic background in this field. Ambitious, eh?

Well, a very intensive semester, worse than my first spring semester I'd say. Back then, I had to read 14 books for 12 credits. Now, just for the four routine courses above (12 credits), I have to read 16 books and God-knows-how-many papers. And adding the books for my independent study (3 credits)? Good luck!

But at least I know that I don't have to worry about my Master's thesis. Sometimes, making tough decisions would relieve you from uncertainties. That's how I felt after making my big decision to switch from engineering to sociology after so many years working as an engineer.

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged