Thursday, August 28, 2008

How did you spent your summer?

I was looking at my Google Analytics reports to see how people have landed on my blog and on which pages. I've written more about this service and non-business uses for it in this post on Traditional vs Contemporary Worship. I've found an interesting trend over this summer and last year.

It appears that "how did you spend your summer?" is a universal topic for kids who get back to school. I've written about this on a separate post last year. And it was funny to find kids landing on this post by googling the words. And I can't help but laugh at their disappointment when they click on the link to my last summer memories, as it's totally useless for their school homework.

Come on kids. Should you search the Internet for every single school assignment? Can't you have some creativity and rely on yourself instead of the Internet even for a simple topic like this? And I can't help but think where our world is going with a generation who wants everything easy and effortless. It shows up in how they type their search keywords: How did you spent your summer?

Well, Google ignores the typo and sorts the search results as if the keywords had been entered correctly. Intelligent software and gadgets make life easier. People who design such intelligent aides argue that by correcting these things automatically, we free your mind from smaller lesser stuff and let you utilize your brain for bigger more important things. Maybe, maybe not.

With this ever easy-making trend for everything, people may empty their mind and just let it relax from serious stuff, while having a high level of confidence in themselves. Read this article on stupidity (and follow the second part) for more on this.

To me, it appears that the generation before me, who didn't have so much technical amenities and had to fret the small stuff, were more creative than my generation and far more advanced in nurturing original ideas compared to the generation after me. A trend began with my generation and has continued alarmingly with the next generation. It manifests itself in one of my favorite songs that begins with: "We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control". Did I say that I love that song?

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged