Friday, March 21, 2008

St. Michael's in the Hills Episcopal Church

My first experience with an Anglican church was in Cyprus while I was there for my visa interview. Given special circumstances surrounding my visit to Nicosia, as briefly explained at the beginning of this previous post, this was more than a normal church visit out of sociological curiosity; it meant spiritually and personally to me. And it left me with a good memory.

When I came to the US, I procrastinated visiting Episcopal churches (American brand of Anglicanism). And I wondered why. Maybe deep down, I didn't feel quite well about the early history of Anglican Church, identified with Henry VIII (although the history of the Church of England goes back beyond him). And after ordination of Gene Robinson, an openly proud homosexual, (who later turned out to be alcoholic also), I had something more contemporary (and less historical) to be unhappy about. Seriously, what should I think about a person who divorces his wife over his fidelity to a different kind of love?

Surely, Anglicanism and Anglican Church as a whole should not be associated with the ordination of such an exemplary person as the leader of the faithful. His ordination in 2003 stirred a lot of controversy within Anglican Communion. Heated debates over homosexuality (and also ordination of women) continue to divide the Church body or at best contribute to Anglican realignment. Interestingly enough, some conservative parishes and dioceses in America have preferred to align themselves with bishops in Africa.

Anyway, planning about Easter and Good Friday this year, I decided to attend liberal churches to see how they worship over this Holy Week and how they are different from more traditional churches. I was thinking about my E-discussion with the pastor of Hampton Park Christian Church and his theory of theology vs worship-style mentioned in this previous post. Attending liberal churches (especially over these most traditional days) could be a good opportunity to have first hand observations and to verify his theory.

Then, I remembered my Good Friday last year. In the ecumenical service at Washington Church, a pastor from St. Michael's in the Hills Episcopal Church gave the homily and I liked him and his sermon. I made a mental note to visit his church some day. And over my bike trips along the University/Parks Trail, I had noticed a church with a big cross in its yard (usually, you see such big crosses in Southern states). And I found out that here was his church. The location of the church at Ottawa Hills (which is an affluent neighborhood) would suggest that the church would be a liberal one. Noticing that both the pastor and his wife were listed as the Clergy was a further confirmation for my assumption.

Researching the church schedule, I saw Agape Supper and Eucharist for their Maundy Thursday. This was an indication that I would observe a ritual-rich service. Concerned that my busy schedule at school during Good Friday could stop me from attending any church, I chose to seize the opportunity. And I'm glad I did.

I assumed that I would attend a service, concluding with Eucharist (in remembrance of the Last Supper). My assumption was not accurate. When I entered the church, instead of the pews facing the altar (as in a regular service), I found myself in a Last Supper setting. And that was the service. I sat myself near the base of the U-shaped table. And the pastoral couple did not wait till the end of the service to come over and greet me; each of them came along shortly after I sat (and I was still panting after biking at a high speed to make it to the church in time). And people on my sides (most of the poeple were middle-aged and above), did their best to make me feel at home.

Although the setting was casual (and the pastors had not worn their robes), the service was more or less sober as you would expect on such a night. And it was rich in rituals and very traditional in liturgy (one point for the above mentioned theory). Interestingly enough, the supper was not served after the service. It was part of the service which concluded by the Eucharist. So, you would find yourself at the Last Supper in a very true sense; especially, with the pastors sitting at the base of the U-shaped table (well, Jesus was not married while serving his disciples the last supper). The service concluded by Stripping of the Altar (in silence). And that included removing the American flag which is present in most church altars.

The most interesting part of it all was the foot-washing that was done in the middle of the service (right after the homily which was about this ritual). I had not seen this in any church in person (just in movies). So, you can imagine how fascinated I was about choosing this church for Maundy Thursday. The pastors washed the feet of some congregants (and were served in turn). People who felt shy or uncomfortable about foot-washing, could suffice to washing each others' hands.

To grasp the most out of what was going on, I broke the rule of participant observation and stood aside. I was repeatedly offered to receive the service. But I preferred to move around freely and observe as much as possible. In retrospect, I realize that my behavior must have appeared very awkward (I did the same non-participant observation over the Eucharist). Probably, that's why I received some unfriendly looks by some members (which were mostly elderly).

After the service, I completed my awkward behavior by engaging the pastors with all sort of odd and blunt questions about their church and other Episcopal churches in Toledo. And I must admit that they were very patient with addressing my inquiries. Some quick facts:

They don't use much contemporary music (a little Light-Pop maybe, but no Rock at all); they have a very traditional Sunday worship (early morning) attended mostly by the elderly and another more relaxed (but still traditional) service attended by others; they welcome anybody with any sexual orientation (she emphasized that they don't follow a "don't ask/don't tell" policy); they would baptize homosexuals (yet, she declined to answer what would they do if somebody asks for a gay marriage); they have a mix of conservative and liberal members and they don't have problems with that.

What I got in about half an hour of conversation was worth visiting several Episcopal churches (although I'll still have to attend more churches to observe things for myself). All in all, I can say my first experience with an Episcopal church was very pleasant and informative.

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged