Monday, January 15, 2007

Christ Presbyterian Church

First thing I had noticed about Christ Presbyterian Church when I discovered it was its spire; instead of simply putting a cross atop (as is the case with most churches), there was an Arc icon with the cross on its big sail. This made me curious to visit the church. Another incentive was their sermon topic which was about sexuality.

I arrived there a little before 8 am. Trying to find my way around, I was called by somebody (who entered the church just after me) as how she could help me. I explained and she introduced herself as associate-pastor of the church. A female associate-pastor (especially an amicable one) in a conservative church? No way. But there was more surprise in place for me as things went on during the day.

She took me to the reception desk in front of the chapel and showed me the brochures all along the hallway and then told me to take a coffee-mug (with some goodies stuffed inside and elegantly wrapped with a blue ribbon) as a gift to first-timers and asked me to fill out a welcome form. Walking along the hallway, I noticed many photos of military members of the church serving in Iraq. This gave me an impression of some right-wing affiliation. It was confirmed later on by prayers for the President and his advisors making tough decisions about war in Middle East (a reference to the recent controversial 20,000 draft).

The audience of the first traditional service consisited mainly of elderly people who had frequented there for many many years. The service went on more or less in a traditional way. Then, the pastor (whom I found later to hold a Doctorate degree in Ministry from San Francisco Theological Seminary) started his sermon. He spoke of X and Y chromosomes, testosterone and a bit of psychology and then concluded why men (unlike women) usually don't tend to ask for directions (even in Godly matters). He made a big effort to make those grandpas and grandmas laugh at his jokes over sermon. Interesting? There was more.

I had a small talk with the pastor and explained a little about my research. He suggested staying for their contemporary worship that would begin shortly after. And this was to be held in their Hanson hall. Upon entering this hall which was actually their gym, I found myself in a Rock concert setting with a refreshment table at the entrance.

The Rock concert (well, contemporary worship) began with people still enjoying their coffee and cookies and talking. As I was helping myself with those delicious cookies (I admit that's my weakness), and the setting was quite casual I preferred to stay in the back and sit after finishing with my cookies. Then, a church member approached me and took me to the front row where his family were sitting. I felt somehow awkward with the cookie plate still in my hand during a worship. He said it's OK and I noticed people (including him) were still holding to their coffee-mugs and sipping from time to time.

After the prelude (it sounds irrelevant for a Rock concert, but anyway), the pastor and his associate appeared (or I noticed them then to be accurate). I couldn't believe my eyes and had difficulty for a few seconds recognizing them. Half an hour ago, they were dressed in full robe and cleric stuff. Now, the pastor was in a casual purple shirt and black pants (I had noticed his necktie beneath his robe half an hour ago). And the associate-pastor wore a tight bloose and a not-so-long skirt and somehow dancing to the music.

I admit I'm somehow old-fashioned, but this sounds too much even by American religious norms. Maybe not. One cannot easily speak of norms in an ever-changing society like America. There are ordained ministers in some churches who are openly proud to be gay or lesbian.

That's a long story. I have to write in detail about homosexuality and Churches in America in my future posts. That's another big (and very controversial) example of how Social Change could cause the Religion to transmutate (change wouldn't be the proper word here). I just hope merely mentioning words like gay or homosexuality doesn't make my blog be blocked by dumb idiotic filtering. I had much difficulty researching this topic when I was in Iran, although the articles I sought to read had nothing to do with obscenity whatsoever. Anyway.

Looking at the full half of the glass however, I have to admit that the lyrics of this Rock concert (aka contemporary worship) were completely religious, biblical, spiritual and moving. They call them Praise Songs in a contemporary worship (compare it to hymns and carols in a traditional service) and the playing/singing band is referred to as Praise Team (compare it to Choir in a traditional setting). I couldn't hold back my tears over some praise songs as I found the wordings closely matching that of the eloquent prayers by Imam Ali and Imam Sajjad I've been used to say for years.

Then, the pastor gave his sermon. Almost the same words as in the traditional one an hour before, though he gave his words in a more casual animated way (his previous sermon wasn't stiff or dry either).

And then it came to ordination/installation of newly elected Elders and Deacons. In a Presbyterian Church, Elders are analogous to Senators in American Congress and Deacons are like Administration in American Government. Elders do the policy-making for the church activities while Deacons are mostly involved with executive day-to day chores of the church and sometimes give recommendations about policies. Both groups are elected in almost similar fashion as public elections in America.

And just like Congress and Administration, they took the oath read aloud by the associate-pastor. She would read the oath and the elected would answer with "I do" or "I will". There were confirmation words by church members in the same way. Then, they knelt in front of the stage (read altar) while their incumbent peers gathered around them, putting their hands on their shoulders reciting ordination prayers as was read by the pastor. Then, incumbents and the newly elected hugged each other.

After the contemporary worship finished, I had an insightful talk with the pastor's wife (who was an ordained pastor herself). She explained about Elders/Deacons and organization of a Presbyterian church. Then I broached the topic of homosexuality. She said Presbyterian Church is split (like many other Churches) about the issue. There have been instances of ministers ordained who happened to be gay, but the Church is still reluctant to ordain openly gay pastors. It's still undergoing debate.

Then, I attended the next traditional service which was for families. Again, the pastors had worn their robes and the setting was more or less traditional. Here, hymns were song by the choir. At the end, there was another Elders/Deacons ordination/installation procession almost in the same manner as the one during the contemporary worship. Upon dismissal, the pastor was amazed as to how I (as a non-Christian) could stand three services in succession without feeling bored. I told him I was doing my job, enjoying it personally and professionally. Actually, observing those different services in a single church gave me a good understanding.

In the end, there was a refreshment celebrating ordination of newly installed Elders/Deacons. Well, it was more than a refreshment and I took my time talking to people around me while enjoying those cookies and cakes. I had a very interesting lengthy talk with the church organist. She was a very lively woman (despite her age). She's been in this job for nearly 50 years (although switching workplace).

Another interesting point to me. She was a faithful Methodist and before coming here, she used to play organ at her Methodist church and now she played at a Presbyterian Church! I wondered how she could do it. She simply said it was just a job to her and she (along with all her family) still visit their old church. She recommended me to attend their church to have a taste of their traditional service (she was very unhappy about all the modernization at churches). And I recommended her to put aside her anti-modernity bias and attend the contemporary worship at her workplace at least once. She was amazed when I explained to her how moving/spiritual were the words of those praise songs (although in a Rock concert setting).

All in all, a very fruitful day helping me learn a lot. I'd like to quote Sohrab Sepehri: "Let's wash our eyes and see in a different way".

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged