Monday, January 08, 2007

Ghadir - Spring Semester begins at U Toledo

Today, I celebrated Ghadir in the US for the first time (after doing so for several years in Iran). In the meantime, I began with my classes as a graduate student of Sociology here at the University of Toledo. What a blessing coincidence!

Ghadir is the most important religious celebration among Shi'a Muslims. It was the day when our Prophet Mohammad announced his last (yet most important) message: Ali, his cousin, the first man to believe in Islam and his prophecy and his most ardent supporter all over his 23 years of prophecy was to succeed him as Imam (leader) and Vali (ruler/friend) of the believers. And whoever followed Mohammad as a Vali had to follow Ali as Vali. Ghadir was the name of the place (a couple of miles from Mecca) where this announcement was made.

To be honest, more than feeling elated about my classes beginning, I was mostly excited about celebrating Ghadir thousands of miles away from Iran. Although I felt so sad in the meantime to be so far away from holy places I used to visit on such occasions. Hope this nice coincidence works out for me to remain blessed by God keeping with His straight path. Now, I've officially started my career as a Sociologist (after working for so many years as an engineer).

Thanks be to God who made us steadfast to the rule/friendship of Ali (son of Abi-Taleb) peace be upon him.

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged