Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year 2007

A year has passed and people are happy about starting another year in their life and making resolves as to what to do over this New Year. And well, one would think what s/he's done over the previous year.

I started 2006 with my endeavor to become a graduate student of Sociology. Actually, I had taken TOEFL and my first GRE back in 2005, but the real tough business began in early 2006: I started going through crusades of paperwork in Iran and elsewhere to proceed. It took me a whole year to eventually make it here.

First, I had to release my official transcripts to apply to graduate programs. Needless to say, I faced various unexpected hurdles. Then, I had to send those hard acquired (yet senseless papers) to graduate schools and departments. After getting admissions with full TA in two schools in the US, I had to go through next batch of paperwork; i.e. changing my old passport (which I discovered was not valid enough according to INS regulations per my I-20 timings) . Again, I faced unexpected delays with a job that could had been finished within a day or so. Next batch of paperwork had to be pursued outside Iran.

I went to Dubai, UAE and applied for visa and got rejected there as a result of inefficient way of handling would-be students. I was asked a few general basic questions that by no means would constitute my unwillingness to come back to my homeland. I was rejected merely for being single. And in the opinion of the Visa Officer who didn't even feel like explaining the ground for my rejection (what he was supposed to do according to DoS regulations) I lacked social/economic ties to Iran. Rejecting students under flimsy excuses like marital status or such is in sheer violation of directives and telegrams issued by Secretary of State (incumbent and the former one).

And I am not a person easily giving up to defeat (especially under unfair conditions). I applied again nearly 1 month later in Nicosia, Cyprus at the worst time (early days of Lebanon war) with (apparently) all the negative points in my case. I went through a lengthy tough interview and finally succeeded to convince the Visa Officer that I had been unfairly rejected in Dubai and that I rightfully deserve a student visa as a genuine student.

Then, I had to wait for clearance by FBI, DoS, DHS and God knows what other entities. I already knew that paperwork in this country goes almost the same as in my own country. Yet, complications of Lebanon war made it even worse. The US embassy in Cyprus was busy with evacuation of American citizens stranded in Lebanon as a result of Israeli all-out offensive. It took me 73(!) days (instead of normal 2-3 week) to receive my clearance and hence I missed my Fall 2006 semester as a result of this unexpected delay.

While waiting for the clearance, I enrolled in MA program of American Studies at the University of Tehran (the oldest and most prestigious university in Iran). Upon receiving my overdue clearance, I picked up my visa and despite my unwillingness to abandon UT, I had to head for the US for another UT (University of Toledo). I hate leaving any business whatsoever unfinished for whatever reason. And my study at U Tehran was no exception. However, my endeavor to land here had cost me so much hassle and stress (and yes, money) that I had no other choice, rationally thinking.

And now I'm here, done with all sort of paperwork, ready to start my graduate study of Sociology at the University of Toledo at the beginning of 2007 after passing a tough year. Or maybe, I've started it already? Attending church services since my first week here could count toward my Sociological research (some kind of field work). I've enjoyed attending those services not only professionally (as a Sociologist studying the role of religion here) but also personally, although I'm a practicing devout Muslim.

And there was something important over the closing days of 2006: Saddam got executed. It was a great day for 70 million Iranians and 27 million Iraqis. That bloodthirsty maniac criminal eventually got what he deserved. Or did he?

A criminal who staged an all-out offensive of 8 years on my country, killing best of best of my people defending their homeland, abusing his own people over more than 20 years of brutal dictatorship, and slaughtering hordes of innocent civilians on both sides of the border. Was a swift (almost) painless execution all he deserved?

Upon receiving his final verdict, this frail coward (who was not even brave enough to take his life with a ready loaded pistol in his hand before being dragged out of his fox-hole) issued an open-letter falsely bragging that he would give his soul as a sacrifice to great Iraqi people. Hearing this more than enraged me. And I was watching TV for coverage of the last moments of this self-acclaimed hero of Arab world. He'd declined to be hooded as a last show of his non-existent courage. Yet, he couldn't hide how afraid he was treading on the wooden platform toward gallows meeting his ultimate abyss.

And when the masked executioners wrapped a black piece of cloth around his neck before placing the noose, I couldn't help but think how far the influence of American judicial procedures could go in a country completely unaccustomed to such minute details (although the whole trial and how it proceeded was an American play). Painless death, avoiding cruel punishment and stuff. And that for a criminal to whom death by gallows was a kiss of mercy compared to what he'd done.

Nevertheless, even this was long overdue for people who are still living through haunting nightmares of his brutal rule, veterans on both sides of the border who struggle with physical/mental/chemical casualties he's left for them, families in both countries who've lost loved ones or worse, still waiting to hear about loved ones missing.

Let's hope that the year 2007 be a more peaceful one for all people living all around the planet.

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged